Monday 14 February 2011

Comparison of the album cover I made and a album cover of another Indie band similar to the one we selected

For this task I picked the band called the Mystery Jets this band are a British Indie band, I feel this is the same genre of music to the band we picked, the riot tapes.

This album cover is many ways is a vastly different to the first draft of my album cover. For one on this album cover there is a picture of all the band, although non of them are playing instruments which is something you may expect if a band is on the front cover, they are all their, which in some cases is odd as not many bands from the Indie genre have themselves on a album cover, this type of music is very well known for pieces of artwork or symbols on front cover of albums. This is what I can pick out as the major difference between my first album cover and the album cover of this band, my album cover is in contrast very simple.

Another major difference between this album cover and mine is that this cover is a picture, mine is not,mine is created via Photoshop, starting with a bog standard background and working from that. However with my album cover I did go with clear text stating what the album name was and the band, with the bands name higher than the album name, the same technique is used here. I used this as it is seen as to be the normal layout for a album, however for Indie music in the past there have been albums covers set out differently with the text the other way round or sometimes not text, just the bands logo to let fans and followers know that this album is of that certain band.

1 comment:

  1. It would be useful to carry out more of a semiotic analysis of this Alex.

    ReplyDelete